Saturday, August 7, 2010

Watch Out For The Child Catchers!

The UK newspapers are today reporting on how parents are letting their children down by not educating them on good health, in particular food.

The leading fast food chaings lure children into their food stores with gifts, play areas and bright colours not unlike that of the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

With my own children I give them the option, they can go to any of these places, but I have spent alot of time educating them on what goes into the food, how it is prepared and the nutritional value behind the food. I have sat with them and gone through a brilliant web site www.meatrix.com which illustrates fantastically what this food is all about. I have used my marketing background to explain how the gifts are a lure to children to entice them in. No I am not brainwashing them with information I am giving them the facts that every child deserves.

I started educating my children when they were only 6 and 8 years old and now they have a very clear understanding.

Theyknow what organic means, they know that if a they see signs saying ´100 chicken legs only 4.99´they understand what it contains and that it is probably not even suitable for a dog.

I make a lentil burger with my children, they see everything that goes into it and we talk about how the Romans marched across Europe on a diet of lentils because they are full of protein and made the soldiers strong. They put them in a bun with all the extras and they love the taste, the smell and the texture. They have a burger, they have helped to make it, they have a story to share and most importantly they are being nourished on all levels.

My point here is that children want to learn, we all need to learn, to understand what we are putting into our bodies. We need to set the right example to our children to ensure their future. No one wants to see their children unwell so keep them healthy including their mental, physical and emotional.

Never say no but give them the information to make their own decisions, you will be surprised how many times they choose correctly. It is incredibly heart warming to hear them talk to their friends about the dangers of fast foods and foods from unknown sources. These children are the ones who will make the difference in the future.

Lynn
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment